The African Democratic Congress (ADC) has accused the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) of denying senior party officials access to former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, who is currently in the custody of the anti-graft agency.
The party also alleged that security operatives deployed heavily around the commission’s headquarters in Abuja during an attempted visit by top ADC officials, describing the move as intimidation and a sign of growing political persecution against opposition figures.
In a statement issued on Friday by the ADC National Publicity Secretary, Bolaji Abdullahi, the party said a delegation comprising its National Secretary, Rauf Aregbesola, Abdullahi, and Secretary of the ADC Policy and Manifesto Committee, Salihu Lukman, was denied access to El-Rufai despite prior communication with the commission.
According to the statement, the ADC had earlier written to the ICPC Chairman, Musa Adamu Aliyu, requesting visitation rights to the former governor amid concerns over his wellbeing.
The party claimed that while its leaders awaited a response at the ICPC premises, at least three truckloads of armed police officers arrived at the location.
“The heavy deployment, which appeared entirely unnecessary and disproportionate to the peaceful presence of unarmed political leaders, created the unmistakable impression that the authorities feared that the mere presence of opposition leaders at the Commission could trigger public outrage,” the statement said.
ADC maintained that its delegation neither threatened unrest nor mobilised supporters, arguing that the deployment of security personnel suggested an attempt to intimidate opposition politicians.
The opposition party further alleged that El-Rufai’s family had raised concerns over restricted access to doctors and food while he remained in custody.
It referenced claims by El-Rufai’s wife, Asia El-Rufai, who reportedly alleged that her husband had been denied access to medical care and that attempts to deliver food to him were blocked.
While noting that the ICPC had denied such allegations and maintained that due process was being followed, the ADC argued that continued restrictions on access by family members, doctors and political associates raised questions about the treatment of the former governor.
The party insisted that El-Rufai voluntarily submitted himself to authorities and remains entitled under the constitution to fair treatment, medical care and family access.
“What we are witnessing increasingly appears to be punishment by process, intimidation through isolation, and an attempt to break the spirit of a leading opposition figure,” the statement added.
ADC demanded that the ICPC immediately grant unrestricted access to El-Rufai by his family, legal representatives, medical personnel and party leaders.
“The ADC will not stand by and watch one of its leaders subjected to this pattern of harassment and calculated humiliation. Nigeria is watching. The international community is watching. The world is watching,” the statement said.
The former governor of Kaduna State was picked in February 2026 by the anti-graft agency over allegations of financial malfeasance and abuse of office.
However, an Abuja court granted him conditional bail, but had not met the conditions required for release, resulting in continued detention.
Separately, there have been additional legal matters involving allegations of unlawful interception of communications, for which another court reportedly granted bail under different terms.
There are conflicting public claims from his family, political allies, and authorities about access to doctors, family visits, and treatment in custody but the ICPC has denied some of the allegations and says it is complying with court orders.
